Friday, May 24, 2013

Craft International Pandemonium

For some light relief?

A white powder substance found in a warehouse caused a major incident this week, leading to a hospital A & E lock-down, and the anti-terrorism squad being called.

You didn't hear about this? It's all over the international craft forums. The ladies of the knitting and jewellery making club 'Craft International' can't stop talking about it.

An A&E department was locked down yesterday in an anthrax scare — after workers at an art suppliers came in covered in white dust.

The seven Hobbycraft staff sparked panic with the mystery powder.

Firefighters were called and ambulances were sent to nearby hospitals as other patients were evacuated during the scare at Queen’s Hospital in Burton upon Trent, Staffs.

A hospital worker described the scene as “pandemonium”.

They added: “Everyone assumed the worst and someone said it looked like anthrax. Panic spread like wildfire and the whole place was put into lockdown.”

Samples of the powder — which got on the workers’ clothes during an incident at a Hobbycraft distribution centre in the town — were rushed to a nearby lab for tests.

It was later identified as a harmless substance and the A&E department re-opened three hours later at 4pm.

Anthrax is a lethal bacteria spread naturally as spores or as a man-made powder.

A hospital spokesman apologised for the closure but said it was in line with national guidance for a major incident.

Mark Powell, operations director at Burton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, said: “To ensure the safety of all patients, we closed the department as a precautionary measure.”

Source: - 21 May 2013

No comments: