Thursday, November 4, 2010

From ENRON to Armenia - The Inhuman Network: Part 2


The producers of ‘24’ have a special relationship with CISCO. This is a source of great employee pride. The guys I worked with loved to pretend that they lived on the set of the show, causing their egos to skyrocket. I use to think they were ridiculous, as egoists go. It’s one thing to be an expert in the field and it’s another to think you are God.

A salesman once tried to pass on CISCO routers with missing serial numbers to the Cyprus government. But someone with a keen eye and even keener pocket called their hand and the deal had to be rebuilt.

Integrity is something that’s lacking in today’s business world, or maybe it was always a sparse thing. On my part, I like to think that I have an ounce or two of the stuff, especially where my career and service to the world is concerned. At least I use to have.

Talking of egos, my next boss had the biggest one of all. Just to set the stage I’ll bring to mind the rap/hip-hop artist called ‘Pitbull’. When I see videos and pictures of Pitbull, I think of my last boss. He wore the exact same clothes and sunglasses, and sported the same goatee.

Sexy in that ‘millionaire boss’ kind of way. I recall how he pushed me into a corner once to show me how the stationery cupboard needed dusting. Suffice to say, I ignored his advances, which was probably (yet again) the beginning of the end for me in that company.

Being the professional I am, from years of experience in office environments, sexual harassment has become par for the course, and I shrug it off now. An old friend that I don’t see often enough says, “It’s amazing how you get yourself into such strange situations; you lead an exciting life of intrigue”. I wish it were so, but instead I feel it is more like a bizarre twisted fate, and that I have been cursed by the Wicked Witch of the East.

It began when I answered a very tiny newspaper ad for a manager; I was soon invited for an interview. The office was located in a prestigious building that houses many ‘blue-chip’ companies. When I entered the reception area I was confronted by Persian carpet, plasma screens, and high quality interior design, a rarity in Cyprus. Visitors comment that it’s like entering the office of a movie mogul.

The boss and his brother, two dashing Armenians in their 30s, greeted me and we had a brief meeting which led to being offered the job. Well sort of. They told me, go home and think about it, if you want to work for us let us know. The first and only time I was ever given such an option.

I was offered my own spacious office with great city views, the latest computer technology, mahogany desk, Herman Miller chair, private parking, short hours, and a ladies room with mirrored tiles, gold fittings and low ambient lights. Not forgetting a good monthly salary. Who could resist? Little did I know that... not all that glitters is… well you’ll see what I mean.

For several weeks I was left to my own devices in the office, discussing colour ‘bleeds’ with graphic designers for the first time in my life, firing unruly staff, and deleting junk mail, until the day that the boss, who frequently travelled overseas, turned up to make us feel like we were living in ‘Hitler’s bunker’ for the duration of his stay.

We clocked in, we clocked out, the CCTV watched our every move, through clear glass partitioned office walls. Our computer use was monitored, our phone calls were logged. The strange thing was, were weren’t dealing with anything confidential or ‘sensitive’, but I guess in this day-and-age you need to keep a good grip on what is happening around you.

Over time it became obvious that we were going through the same ‘ole same ‘ole every month. Things never seemed to progress, nothing moved forward, we were constantly going backwards to re-do everything, we moved furniture around, we constantly changed advertising, constantly rehashed company policies and documents, we bought things, returned them, bought them again. We were playing at ‘playing office’.

The designers would put this down to the boss being an uber-perfectionist. However, there was more to it than that. Time is money they say, and our precious time was being wasted on an hourly basis, as we constantly changed and amended and re-amended paperwork, drawings, adverts, policies, staff …a little to the left…a little to the right…and so it went on…

…to be continued

No comments: